On September 8, 1956, a meeting of ten
people was held at the Youngblood's Restaurant State
Fairgrounds, Dallas, Texas, for the purpose of giving
consideration to the matter of forming an association
within the state of Oklahoma for stimulating the
interest in the Arabian Horse. Those attending the first
meeting were: Mary Glass, Christina Bothe, Helen Bates,
Claude Bates, Jr., Maxine Winters, Jean Rowe, Ivan E.
Rowe, Pearl Leeper, and Carl Leeper.
The group present selected the name of
OKLAHOMA ARABIAN HORSE CLUB to be the name of such
organization with Ivan E. Rowe to serve as temporary
presiding officer and authorized him to incorporate
under the laws of Oklahoma as a non-profit organization.
On November 4, 1956, Mary Glass of Tulsa was elected the
first President of the club, Vice President was Dick
Shannan, and Claude L. Bates, Jr. was elected
secretary-treasurer. Seven Directors were elected:
Christina Bothe, John Cushing, Thelma Martin, Owen C.
McEwen, Anna A. Neff, Carl Leeper, and Loring Winters.
Ivan E. Rowe was appointed Chairman of the By-Laws
Of those first members, two have served
the International Arabian Horse Association as National
President: Ivan E. Rowe and Owen C. McEwen. Through the
years the club has grown from 9 members to as many as
400 in 1983. Current membership is approximately 150.
The club has held shows regularly since the first club
sponsored show in 1960. In 1963 the State Fair of
Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, added the Arabian Show to the
growing number of horse shows during the 10 day fair.
The first event held in the new arena at
the Oklahoma City State Fair Grounds was an Arabian
Horse Show sponsored by the OAHC in September, 1965. The
Oklahoma Arabian Horse Club hosted the U.S. National
Championship Shows in Oklahoma City in 1968, 1969, 1970,
1971, and 1972.
The Club started their first Futurity in
1961 for purebred Arabians.